Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloween....whatever


I hate Halloween. Ok hate is a strong word. I guess it was never huge in our family. Yes we would dress up and go trick-or-treating. We would hand out candy and also occasionally carve the pumpkin; although I think it was mainly because my parents wanted to roast the pumpkin seeds. But as far as the whole dressing up part....I was a witch for about 5 years and a watermelon the other 5 years. That's it! Edna was a clown and then a strawberry. So I just have a hard time with wanting to decorate and going all out for Halloween.


So this year I gave into my kids and we put up some "spiderwebs" in our doorway and some jack-o-lanterns, but no more.

One thing I have always enjoyed though is carving pumpkins, and yes I also roast the pumpkin seeds. For about 3 years we carve pumpkins and make all sorts of interesting things. I have carved Sleeping Beauty castle, lightning McQueen, The Incredibles Logo, a witch brewing, a wicked diva, cinderella, ariel, tinker bell, NY Yankee logo, and a montage of jack-o-lanterns. Edna and Chris also have joined us in this tradition and Chris has done an AWESOME job of doing some pretty good ones, including Napoleon Dynamite, Superman, and this year he did Carolanne and the TV from Poltergeist!!! It was cool!




The only reason I have these pictures is because Hunter took them!




This year we got to celebrate Halloween twice (all with a smile). On Wednesday we had our Trunk-Or-Treat at church. Paul is the Activity Chairman in our ward, so that automatically puts me on the committee as well. So we had to help with the set up and happenings that night...which means I took no pictures! way to go mom!





Then on Friday we went to Chris and Edna's and had a Driveway Tailgate party, a la mexican style, complete with movie projected on the garage! It was great! My kiddos had a blast doing a little bit of everything...trick-or-treating, eating healthy chips and soda and hot dogs, movie watching and more trick-or-treating followed by more healthy candy eating!




I did manage to get a few shots....




Here are Dean and Paul....they will be old men and still look like this!


The Taylor's as Cinderella!!!



This is what the driveway looked like!



Riley's Classic Face!



One Crazy Trick-or-Treating Night!!!



Glad it's over! And now I can focus on Christmas....oh wait...first Thanksgiving. That means DEEP FRIED TURKEY!!!!

7 comments:

Linsey F said...

I can totally picture Dean and Paul sitting in the driveway 30 years from now, handing out candy bantering about who was going to beat who in Madden'38...cause you know they will!

PEHNelson said...

That's hilarious! Because it's so true!!!!!

Stephenie said...

In response to The Yankee pumpkin: You would. Paul! :) Taylor's costume: Why Cinderella?! Bleh. She should've been Madam Mim or something, because she's clinically insane. Edna's driveway: Mexican style. Hahaha! Looks like a ton of fun. You should make that a new tradition for your kids! Glad your Halloween turned out well. That's what happens when you grin and bare it! :)

Amber said...

I feel your anti-Halloween sentiment! I never cared for it as a holiday until I had kids. They love dressing up and all the candy (wonder where they get that from!). That driveway tailgate looks like a blast!

Unknown said...

um, are those couches in the driveway, like couches from the in the house...i was a parrot for halloween, two of my friends were a peacock and a flamingo, and garrett was a bird watcher...we spent 5 hours getting ready and about 1.5 hours at the party..lol

Chredna said...

No those aren't couches from inside my house!!!! It's our backyard outdoor furniture....from walmart! HA HA!

Angela said...

er, what am I doing? Poking my eye? lol. Great pics of the kids, hilarious! Mmmm can't wait for turkey day!