Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Target Trauma

I feel the need to post about this strictly for memory purposes. It was one of those events that leaves you feeling "Really? Really? I mean, REALLY?!!"

Last Thursday I went to Target, my absolute favorite store in the whole wide world, to do Hunter's school shopping. As I mentioned in my previous post, I love uniforms. I walked in, got 6 t-shirts in different solid colors for $3.99 each, 3 shorts for $7.99 and even a pair of easy-to-put-on tennis shoes for $12.00! Can't go wrong there! And I was done in 30 minutes and that even included trying on the shorts and one of the shirts to make sure we got the right size.

So I'm sure you're thinking "where's the trauma?" Oh...I'll tell you where's the trauma! (is it just me or does the word trauma looked spelled wrong because I've used it three times now....ro-ads......movie trivia)

Ok back to my story.

We left the house about 11:15. Got to target fine. Hunter had a hair appointment at 1:30 so I had plenty of time to kill and I knew they were going to get a late lunch so I decided to buy them popcorn and Icee's because then I can enjoy Target for a good while.

We get our snacks and head to the boys department. Meanwhile Hunter and Riley are both sitting in the back of the cart and they are doing quite well considering they are so close. Taylor is in the front of the cart with me sipping at the Icee. She thinks it's DELICIOUS! Can't get enough. Well...she gets enough. Goes down the wrong tube, brain freeze, I don't know, something happened. So she starts to cough. Then she spits up a bit. As I'm reaching down to get my package of wipes (that are unopened by the way) She starts to throw up - in my direction. Ahhh. Ok so she throws up a bit, I still can't get my wipes opened, she looks up at me and smiles. And then she starts again. All over herself, all over the cart, all over me, and eventually down into my purse. And I still can't get my wipes opened. This lady standing right next to us doesn't even look over. I was actually shocked at that. I didn't expect help or anything, but you think the sounds of a child throwing up and me going "gosh dang it" and "oh crap" as I'm trying to "catch" and open wipes would have caught her attention, but it didn't!

Ok so I finally get the wipes opened and Taylor stopped throwing up. Relief. Well Taylor is passed the age where I carry an extra set of clothes for her, so I went and got her a little dress and Riley informs me "I need a cute outfit too!" So I get her a dress too. I figure Hunter's getting clothes, what the heck! So I get their dresses, pay for them and head to the family restroom. But that's right, someones in there! So I wait......and wait.......and wait......and wait.......and FINALLY this man and his son come out. I don't know what they were doing in there but it was forever....like 15 minutes!!!!! Very Questionable! All the while Taylor is laughing and my kids are eating popcorn wondering why we are standing by the front door. Also during the above mentioned waiting, this lady came up to me and said "I just want to tell you that my friend and I were watching you. I have two kids and am thinking about having another one and it was just nice to see how calm you are, your hair is done and you're dressed and how well-behaved your kids are and it makes me feel as if I could have one more child." I told her thank you very much and told her that my baby just threw up so I was waiting to change her clothes. So she laughed. (on the hair is done comment, as a mother I know sometimes that is just my goal for the day...shower, hair, make-up, change clothes. that's a whole other post.)

So I finally get to the bathroom, I wipe Taylor completely down, change her clothes and put on her new dress, and then changed Riley as well. Then i proceed to clean out my purse. Luckily I didn't have my nice coach diaper bag with me that day cause I would have flipped, but it was just my vinyl mickey mouse bag. So I proceed to take out everything and wipe it clean of Red Icee Vomit! And the ONE TIME, THE ONE TIME I actually have cash in my purse....that's right! The extra diapers also got a little throw up on them! Crap! Ok whatever. So Finally I get all cleaned up and we head out to get Hunter's clothes. It's 12:40. I have 30 minutes to get out and make it across town to Hunter's haircut appointment. Blasted!

So we quickly get his shirts and shorts and head to the dressing room to try them on! As we are getting there I notice Taylor smelling questionable. So I change her with a diaper that was wiped off on the front, not the inside. She is contently drinking her bottle so I leave her there and continue on with Hunter. Oh, did I mention it was diarrhea. yeah, that's right. So I'm on Hunter's last pair of shorts and I HEAR Taylor going at it again. So I stand her up and her brand new dress that she has worn for thirty minutes is tucked in her newly changed, newly-diarrhead diaper. That's Right! Come on! So I pull out her dress and wipe that down too. So we head out, me holding Taylor cause I couldn't stand to let her sit in that crap. I get a package of diapers and some baby powder and head to pay. I paid and then went out to the car and I changed my poor baby girl in the back of the suburban. We then went to Hunter's hair appointment where everything went smoothly! Yay!!! Needless to say, we all got Happy Meals on the way home and then took a nap!

Here's the little crazy herself!

This is Riley in her green dress from Target and a cinnamon moustache.
She wanted a picture too.

12 comments:

Linsey F said...

That is why I shop alone!

Gabriela Hull said...

That's funny....moments like those you have no choice but to laugh.

JasonDebbie said...

ha ha thats so funny! It always happens that theres so much that goes wrong all at once. When I wrote about how I had all that trouble at the airport and the plane left without me, etc... I forgot to mention that RIGHT before we were going to go through security, mckenna pooped everywhere and so we had like 2 minutes to change her and she spent all day on planes in just a diaper, a bow, and socks. It was awesome.

Sabra said...

All in a day's work!

Steph Kjelstrom said...

I was laughing but at the same time felt your pain!!

Amber said...

Sadly, if you have ready my blog at all, you know I have been there! It is nice to hear that others have days like this too. So funny!

ekarla14 said...

Reminds me of the day here in Vegas when kyle was a baby in the stroller at Dillard's and he got dio...and YOU almost threw up!! Remember?

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that sounds like a nightmare, I hate it when things liek that happen. It sounds like you handled yourself like a pro though. Those are the times that once it is all over and you are back in the comfort of your own home, you can laugh. Your girls are so stinking cute, and I need to go because I suddenly have the urge to walk around Target!

Tina said...

If someone is deciding to have more children based on that scene, you must be simply amazing under pressure! Go Ericka...:)

Angela said...

Wow. Yup, traumatic is the word I'd use. Poor you! I've had to buy a shirt once when Kendra puked all over hers. Good times. I agree with Tina, you must have been doing great! :)

Chredna said...

Karla!! I totally remember when that happened.....that was a classic moment!

leinbachfamily said...

I could hardly read your comment cuz my eyes were tearing up with laughter. sorry don't mean to laugh I know at the time you were probably mortified. you just explain things so funny. Amazing how things like that happen and our husbands are oblivious to what we had to deal with that day.